FAQs About Workers' ...

FAQs About Workers' Compensation in South Carolina

Under South Carolina's workers' compensation laws, employers shoulder the costs of work-related injuries and occupational illnesses, without regard to a worker's fault. Nationwide, workers' compensation laws not only protect injured and sickened employees, but they shield employers from costly civil lawsuits filed by injured workers.

If you are suffering from a job-related injury, disability, or illness, you should seriously consider filing a workers' compensation claim. To help you better understand workers' compensation claims, here is a list of frequently asked questions below.

Am I Covered by Workers' Compensation?

In South Carolina, every employee, with a few exceptions, is covered by the state's Workers' Compensation Act. Such exceptions include federal employees, railroad employees, real estate agents, and certain casual employees.

What Does Workers' Compensation Cover?

Workers' compensation provides benefits for personal injuries, occupational diseases, repetitive stress injuries, and accidental deaths arising out of people's jobs. Workers' comp pays for the worker's necessary medical expenses, a portion of their lost wages, and it pays for permanent disabilities or disfigurement.

How Much Will My Benefits Be?

When employees are unable to work for seven days because of their injuries, they will receive 66 2/3% of their average weekly wage before the injury, however, the benefit amount is limited to 100% of South Carolina's average weekly wage.

Can I Receive Benefits Indefinitely?

Under South Carolina's workers' compensation law, the maximum award that a worker (or their surviving family members) can receive for total disability or death is 500 weeks.

Can My Spouse Collect if Something Happens to Me?

Some occupations, for example, fishing and logging are very dangerous. In effect, if an employee dies during the course of their work or because of an occupational disease, the deceased worker's dependents (including their spouse) may be entitled to benefits on behalf of their loved one.

When Should I Report My Injury?

If you are injured on the job, it's important that you immediately report the accident to your employer. If you fail to notify your employer, this could jeopardize your payments for medical care and your lost income benefits.

If you are interested in filing a claim for workers' compensation, contact Masella Law Firm, P.A.to schedule a consultation with an experienced Columbia workers' compensation lawyer.

Make a Payment

Click here to be taken to our secure payment page

Pay Now

Contact Us Today

Email Us Your Information

Contact Masella Law Firm, P.A. today to receive your initial consultation.

Please Choose:

Meet Our Team

Our Attorneys

Practicing Since 1998
Our firm comprises dedicated attorneys who are experienced in state and federal courts.

Read Our Profiles

Why Choose Us?

  • Prompt & professional
  • We fight every fight
  • Highly reccomended by past clients

What Are You Waiting For?

Don’t leave your future in jeopardy. Contact our firm for a consultation!

Case Evaluation
“Outstanding counsel, exceeded our expectations!” We contacted the South Carolina Bar seeking an AV rated attorney to represent our son on a criminal case. The Bar referred us to Mr. Masella who promptly responded to our call. Mr. Masella answered all of our questions, explained the legal process, provided us with expected resolutions and put my wife and I at ease. He proactively advocated for our son, fully resolving his case efficiently and effectively. His counsel was outstanding and exceeded our expectations. We wholeheartedly recommend Masella Law Firm and their attorneys to care for you and your families' needs.