How Long Will a Juvenile ...

How Long Will a Juvenile Offense Stay on My Record?

Teenagers, minors, and young adults often don't comprehend the consequences of their criminal actions. The criminal justice system that juveniles face when accused of a crime is not the same as the one adults face when they are arrested. Although the Juvenile Justice system is supposed to rehabilitate juvenile offenders, the penalties associated with juvenile crimes can have a significant impact on their lives long after they have served their sentence. In this blog, we talk about how long a juvenile offense will stay on your record.

What Juvenile Offenses Stay on My Criminal Record?

Unfortunately, the arrests and convictions placed on a juvenile's criminal record are not automatically removed when the juvenile becomes an adult. In fact, many years can go by and the juvenile offense might still remain on your record. However, since the Juvenile Justice System does not want to entirely ruin a minor's reputation, expungement can be used to remove juvenile offenses from your criminal record. In addition to expungement, a judge can also order for your records to be sealed. Sealing your records will prevent the offenses that cannot be expunged from being seen by parties who are interested in your criminal background.

It is important to note that each of your convictions or arrests is bound to a one-expungement attempt rule. This means that if you try to file for an expungement and it ends up being denied, it cannot ever be expunged in the future. Furthermore, the following violent crimes and sex crimes cannot be expunged from your record:

  • Animal Cruelty
  • Unlawful Use or Possession of a Firearm
  • Assault
  • Battery
  • Sexual Misconduct
  • Any Crime that Requires You to Register as a Sex Offender

If your juvenile offense was severe and tried in adult court, in is unlikely that it can be expunged. Offenses like grand theft, rape, or murder are not eligible for expungement, even if you were not convicted.

Who Can See My Juvenile Record?

Employers, banks, landlords, and educational institutions are allowed to ask if you have ever been convicted of a crime when reviewing your application or discussing opportunities regarding that organization. If you have a juvenile conviction, you will need to inform these entities. However, make sure you specify that your conviction was for a juvenile offense.

Do you have more questions about juvenile offenses or expungement? Contact our Columbia team of juvenile crimes attorneys to find out how we can help you today.

Make a Payment

Click here to be taken to our secure payment page

Pay Now

Contact Us Today

Email Us Your Information

Contact Masella Law Firm, P.A. today to receive your initial consultation.

Please Choose:

Meet Our Team

Our Attorneys

Practicing Since 1998
Our firm comprises dedicated attorneys who are experienced in state and federal courts.

Read Our Profiles

Why Choose Us?

  • Prompt & professional
  • We fight every fight
  • Highly reccomended by past clients

What Are You Waiting For?

Don’t leave your future in jeopardy. Contact our firm for a consultation!

Case Evaluation
Absolutely amazing customer focus! Mr. Masella and his team were absolutely amazing! They are truly a blessing and client oriented. Furthermore, they understand high-conflict divorce and unique custody situations involving military moves. I never felt alone or powerless. Actually, I felt liberated and protected knowing they would always listen to my concerns and desired outcomes, while empathizing and providing the legal expertise and professionalism necessary to advocate for me and my child. The conflict has lessen and we were able to move as a new military due to Mr. Masella and his professional team. I give them my highest recommendation and repeat business!