Are Military Divorces Handled ...

Are Military Divorces Handled Differently?

Unlike civilians, those who serve our country go through unique and complex issues when going through a divorce. If you're in a military family, and divorce is looming, familiarizing yourself with the more difficult aspects can help lead you to better decisions and a better outcome for you and your family.

Delaying a Divorce

Generally, the spouse who is "served" with divorce papers has a limited amount of days to formally respond. However, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) can change the normal court time schedule and other deadlines if one party is on active duty. An active-duty service member can request to delay the proceedings (called a "stay") or other claims related to alimony, child support and custody, property division and military pension division. Typically, a stay lasts 90 days, but it can be extended if necessary.

Child Custody and Support

Another aspect that is more complex in a military divorce is child custody. If the military spouse has lengthy deployments, it is recommended that a contingency plan be set in place. If there is joint custody, the civilian parent cares for the child whenever the other spouse is deployed. However, if the military spouse has sole custody and is deployed, there is consideration by the court to grant temporary changes of custody to the civilian parent or other family members, such as grandparents, aunts and uncles. As for child support, military parents are required to pay like civilians. However, if they fail to comply, consequences can be more severe and result in them being removed from duty. In addition, support can be modified as the result of deployments.

Dividing the Pension

Service members who retire after at least 20 years of active service are compensated with a retirement pension for the rest of their lives. If a spouse is married to a service member for 10 years or more, they are entitled to half of the pension after a divorce. However, the pension division can be negotiated in several ways; for example, a spouse can ask for half the pension even if they were married for less than 10 years, or the military spouse can ask for more even if they were married for over 10 years.

For help with your military divorce, call (803) 938-4952 to speak to one of our Columbia family law lawyers at Masella Law Firm, P.A. today.

Categories: Divorce, Family Law

Make a Payment

Click here to be taken to our secure payment page

Pay Now

Contact Us Today

Email Us Your Information

Contact Masella Law Firm, P.A. today to receive your initial consultation.

Please Choose:

Meet Our Team

Our Attorneys

Practicing Since 1998
Our firm comprises dedicated attorneys who are experienced in state and federal courts.

Read Our Profiles

Why Choose Us?

  • Prompt & professional
  • We fight every fight
  • Highly reccomended by past clients

What Are You Waiting For?

Don’t leave your future in jeopardy. Contact our firm for a consultation!

Case Evaluation
Katharine Swinson is the best I came to the Masella Law firm in 2013 with a child custody issue. I had never heard of this law firm, I just did a google search. I went in for my initial consultation and meet with Kathy, by the end of the consultation I had made my mind up that I was choosing her. Kathy knew her stuff and was willing to fight for me and my son. It was a long year and a half with out my son, but Kathy and Bob were on my side and fought for me every step of the way. In 2015 Ms. Kathy did my final hearing and won my case and got my son back home. Ms. Kathy and Bob are very professional and quick about getting things done. I would recommend them to anyone needing a family lawyer, like I said they do their best on your case and fight for you regardless of anything!!!! Best Law Firm in town!!!